Community

Friday: 22 gay things to do today

There's plenty to make your Friday a little more gay, including the 13th Annual Black Gay Pride Celebration, author appearances, a tennis tournament and DJs.

LGBT authors turn page for Black Gay Pride

The giant Black Gay Pride official lineup becomes colossal when you start counting supplemental events like the bevy of authors at Outwrite and Charis bookstores over Labor Day Weekend.

Thursday: 18 gay things to do today

The Peach International Tennis Championships opens with its draw party @ Mixx. 7 p.m.

Queer literati head to Decatur Book Festival

The Decatur Book Festival, set for Sept. 4-6, teams for the first time with the authors and poets of the Atlanta Queer Literary Festival.

Pinch those pennies with Project Q coupon

Pinching pennies has never been more in vogue than now, the middle of a deep recession. This weekend is designed to do just that. Through Sunday at midnight, there's a sales tax holiday in Georgia that includes clothing, school supplies and computers. That means you get the swag at an 8 percent discount. Combine that with a coupon just for Project Q Atlanta readers from Brushstrokes and you can really clean up this weekend. The coupon brings discounts of 35 percent on posters and prints, 25 percent on picture frames and 20 percent on coffee mugs. You'll pay sales tax on these items, but clothes and supplies such as notepads, notebooks and journals do come tax free. So combine the two for nearly guilt-free shopping. The store's Sidewalk Sale on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. makes the experience even easier. (Print the coupon here.)

Ticket Giveaway: Charlie Brown Superstars

imageThe bitch is back. Legendary drag personality Charlie Brown brings her Superstars of Drag to After Hours at Actor's Express on Saturday. And we've got a way for you to see the 11 p.m. show for free so you can enjoy the likes of Brown, Heather Daniels, Gigi Monroe, Jordan Kennedy and drag king Chase Daniels. And by free, we mean you can win a pair of tickets and save yourself $10. Just {encode="matt@projectqatlanta.com" title="email us"} saying why you want to see the show. We'll pick the winner from among the entrants and let you know via email. It's that simple. But hurry, the contest closes at 5 p.m. on Friday.

Ticket Giveaway: Blowoff at Vinyl on Sat.

imageRock and electronic music powerhouses Bob Mould and Rich Morel are in town this weekend and want you to Blowoff July 4th with them. We'll help by saving you $30 and giving you a pair of tickets to their dance party, which is set for Saturday at 10 p.m. at Vinyl on Peachtree Street. Not sure what Mould and Morel are all about? Read our Q&A with the duo. How to win the tics (pick one or do both): More after the jump.

Ticket Giveaway: ‘America I AM’ exhibit

image"America I AM: The African American Imprint" opened earlier this month at the Civic Center, bringing to Atlanta an exhibit of nearly 500 years of African American contributions to the nation through artifacts, documents, multimedia, photos and music. Some 12 galleries with nearly 15,000 square feet take you through a journey from struggle and triumph to celebration. To say the exhibit is powerful is, well, an understatement at best. And we're got free tickets for you.

On the books: Laws that hurt us all

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. Moe’s Clothing Store is a fictional company and Larry a fictional worker. When Moe discovers that Larry is homosexual, he pulls a Donald Trump and says, “You’re fired." More after the jump.

Ga. leaders against the grain on gay rights

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. Tuesday brought sad news for the LGBT community, but we can’t let the California Supreme Court’s bad judgment get in the way of all that we’re fighting for. More after the jump.

Tying the knot, same-sex style

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. I sat there on a pew near the back of the small country church, watching as two close friends tied the knot. The young couple embodies what it means to be in love. That, to me, is what marriage and civil unions are all about anyways – two people who share unending love for one another. More after the jump.

How to have a gay May in Athens

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. Now that school's out for summer break, a large chunk of Athens' gay community has returned to their other homes for the summer. But the residents and the die hards have hung around for what promises to be some hot summer days. More after the jump.

Why being out and proud is so vital

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. Athens is Atlanta’s little queer sister. We have a gay bar, a welcoming downtown scene, more LGBT-themed and -friendly organizations than you can shake your stick at (no pun intended), big gay events on a regular basis, a network of socialites and connected queers, and we even have our own Pride event. More after the jump.

Big ball on tap for Athens this weekend

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. I know you like balls. You wouldn’t be reading this blog if they didn’t in some way get you going. Big balls, little balls -- I know you like them all. And I’m okay with that. As a matter of fact, I’m extending a personal invitation for you to join me to see one of the biggest balls this side of the Mississippi River. Won’t y’all come? More after the jump.

Gay Athens out in full force, Bulldogs and all

imageJoshua Trey Barnett is the co-creator and editor of GayInAthens.com and the contributing blogger behind Dawg Days, a weekly update from Athens for Project Q Atlanta. Hello Atlanta! I’m writing to you from beautiful downtown Athens. Our streets are lined with blooming trees, the grass across the street in UGA’s historic North Campus is getting greener, and the gay community is out in full force. I just watched a cute gay couple walk past my normal seat at my favorite little coffee spot, hands clasped together, out and proud in this diverse little college town. More after the jump.
17,369FansLike
5,928FollowersFollow
7,636FollowersFollow

PHOTO GALLERIES