Singer dedicates GLAAD award to violence victim, Rick Perry whips out gay jokes, confidential NOM docs reveal shady strategy, Matt Bomer on “Glee,” DOJ urges court action on DOMA, lesbian family denied, gay-inclusive immigration, and more LGBT headlines.
• Rick Perry cracks gay jokes about Romney and Santorum. The Texas governor (top photo) poked fun at his former presidential rivals, joking about Mitt Romney’s good looks and comparing his own college degree in animal husbandry to “what Rick Santorum thinks gay marriage leads to.”
• Administration to DOMA Court: Speed it up. The Justice Department filed a request to San Francisco’s federal appeals court urging the panel to decide faster on the pending case of federal employee Karen Golenski, who has already won one ruling declaring the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.
• Ricky Martin dedicates GLAAD award to gay bashing victim. The out singer (middle photo) dedicated his prize from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to a Chilean gay man who is in critical condition after being brutally attacked by a group of neo-Nazis. View photos from the GLAAD Awards.
• Homeland Security proposes gay-inclusive immigration forms. Gay spouses and parents have been forced to fill out separate forms until now. The new proposal allows LGBT families to fill out one form like everyone else.
• NOM scheme: Drive wedge between gays, blacks. How does a Maine court know for sure of the anti-gay group plan to defeat marriage equality and the president? The bigots say so themselves in confidential internal documents.
• “Glee” releases teaser pic for Matt Bomer guest spot. The recently out “White Collar” hunk (bottom photo, left) plays big brother to Darren Criss’ gay character Blaine (right), including a Duran Duran mashup duet, on April 10. Meantime, revisit Bomer with fewer clothes in the Morning Fix.
• Woman accused of hate crime shooting of gay man. LaShawn Carson was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and anti-gay bias in a Washington, D.C., IHOP scuffle that started with slurs and ended with a gunshot. The gay man is expected to be OK.
• Community pool denies gay couple and daughter family discount. “I have to draw the line somewhere,” the pool manager says about his decision not to extend the discount to Michelle Gladfelter, her partner and their 5-year-old.
Martin photo via Gay Star News; Perry and Bomer-Criss photo from Fox