Gay Atlanta does at least one thing right. Some may scoff when our gay bar bounty earns national recognition, but it’s pretty apparent we know how to party when a holiday like Fourth of July rolls around.
Project Q Atlanta event previews already hint that this weekend is a big deal. In the grand Independence Day traditions of old, read more about how Atlanta Bear Fest: Lock Down and the Big Peach gay softball tournament are setting about their all-weekend holiday revelry beginning Friday. Another annual event is Friday’s Party Like A Rock Star @ Amsterdam with the double dish of DJ delights Vicki Powell and Jay McCracken.
But when you’re gay in Atlanta, finding a place to watch fireworks and cook out are the least of your concerns. You’re busy trying to winnow down the gayest place to let your Fourth flag fly this weekend.
We don’t need to pontificate on what a welcome task it is—or how most of us will enjoy Monday off since the official holiday is on Sunday. Three dozen gay bars and several party promoters in a 25-mile radius know that, too.
Let’s just get right down to our top picks from all the oh-so-gay Fourth-themed and long weekend-inspired events in the LGBT-ATL. See what inspires you, then click these links for maps, times and details:
SATURDAY, JULY 3
• Joining Hearts Foam Party w/DJ Mike Pope @ Heretic
• Two-day FLUX Deluxe staycation w/DJ Vicki Powell @ the Georgian Terrace
• DJ Susan Morabito w/Carioca @ Jungle
• Party in the U.S.A. @ Mary’s
• 4th of July Bash w/Baby D Live @ Traxx
• Swimsuit Fashion Show @ LeBuzz
• TWIST Big Bang 4th @ Bellissima
Find more Saturday fun on the day’s full Gay Agenda.
SUNDAY, JULY 4
• Club Q all-night, all morning party w/DJ Paulo @ Legends
• FLUX Rooftop Pool Party @ the Georgian Terrace
• Ladies At Play 4th of July Bash @ Luxe
• Heretic opens at midnight for Fourth of July after hours
• Red White & Blue Celebration @ Model T
• Big Fourth of July Cookout @ Friends on Ponce
Check out Sunday’s entire agenda of LGBT events.