Gay geeks tie knot in comic store to celebrate Marvel’s gay “X-Men” wedding issue, GOProud endorses Romney, meet “Project Runway’s” lesbian contestant, GOProud endorses Mitt Romney, middle school gay bashing, Adam Carolla’s anti-gay foot-in-mouth disease, and more LGBT headlines.
• New York teen blinded in school bashing. Bullies attacked 14-year-old Kardin Ulysse (top photo) in his junior high cafeteria while calling him “faggot,” “pussy,” “transvestite” and “gay.” Ulysse is left with sight in one eye after two surgeries.
• GOProud endorses Mitt Romney. The gay conservative political group, founded by two gay men who thought Log Cabin Republicans were too liberal, promises to throw “significant resources” behind the candidate to make sure he’s “the next president of the United States.”
• Gay geeks wed superhero style to honor Marvel Comics nuptials. New York City’s Midtown Comics hosts two same-sex ceremonies, including Jason Walker and Scott Everhart (second photo, left-right) on Wednesday, the same day Marvel’s Northstar finally marries his boyfriend in “Astonishing X-Men No. 51.”
• Maine marriage’s wording referendum conundrum. Polls show wide support for gay marriage in the state that’s 19 points above those opposed, but survey questions include that churches can still decide whether to host the ceremonies. The actual ballot question is, “Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
• Carrie Underwood talks gay marriage backlash. Cheatin’, killin’, and drinkin’ make Country fans buy records whether it’s in a song or real life, but they don’t take kindly to their singin’ sweetheart (third photo) backin’ the gays.
• Married lesbians sue Catholic hospital, insurance agency. The first gay marriage lawsuit against a Catholic institution was filed Wednesday by a couple after one, an employee of St. Joseph’s Hospital in Westchester, N.Y., was denied benefits for her spouse because the hospital doesn’t recognize their marriage even though the state does.
• Adam Corolla likes his anti-gay PR stunts. The comic (bottom photo) apparently missed the publicity after an anti-gay radio jab. Now he says gay jokes are OK because people laugh. He ups his game by adding that comedy plays the odds: Women aren’t funny so don’t hire them, and “you take the brother over the guy with the yarmulke” in basketball.
• Lesbian designer hits Project Runway. The 10th season of the reality TV stalwart known for its gay male hopefuls premieres on July 19. While waiting, make it work with a twist in this home visit with out and proud Alicia Hardesty and her girlfriend:
Ulysse photo from Gay Star News; Walker-Everhart photo by New York Times; Underwood photo from Washington Post; Carolla photo via Chicago Tribune