Singer and boyfriend busted in bar fight, lesbian sailors kiss in traditional ship homecoming, gay Republicans give Gingrich a pass, sports radio host mocks lesbians and WNBA, gay candidate Fred Karger’s bigotry scandal, and more LGBT headlines.
• Adam Lambert busted outside gay bar after fight with boyfriend. On a Christmas trip to Finland, the singer (top photo, left) and boyfriend Sauli Koskinen (right) were arrested in the wee hours of Thursday after a heated row at a Helsinki club. They were to be questioned and released “when they sober up,” according to police. Lambert’s single “Better than I Know Myself” dropped Tuesday from the forthcoming “Trespassing” album.
• Gay Republican establishment gives Gingrich a pass on “Vote for Obama” comment. GOProud strategist Chris Barron says the liberal media “mischaracterized” the comment and that Gingrich said “absolutely nothing wrong in his exchange with the gay Iowa voter” who asked how voters who rank gay marriage as a key issue should vote. Log Cabin Republicans weighed in with the same sentiment. Log Cabin also tried to spin a Mississippi mayor’s outing as positive history; he only came out after sex toys on his expense account were exposed.
• Gay presidential candidate Fred Karger under fire for anti-Mormon website. The candidate recently launched his latest attack on GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney with the website Top 10 Craziest Mormon Beliefs. Critics call Karger a hypocrite to his platform of anti-bigotry.
• Malaysian man threatened over Irish civil union. Ariff Alfian Rosli tied the knot with partner Jonathan in November. When photos surfaced on the internet, Malaysian commenters expressed such displeasure and intent to get him back and “restore his Muslim faith” that Rosli says he’ll never be able to return home.
• DePaul University elects first openly gay student president. Anthony Alfano just began coming out to friends and family and is struggling with his faith at the Catholic school, but he’s forging ahead with activities like the school council and as the youngest member of his gay hockey league.
• Radio jock says sorry for anti-lesbian mocking of WNBA. In on-air comments on Tuesday, ESPN Radio host Bruce Jacobs called two teams the “Los Angeles Lesbians” and the “Phoenix Dyke-ury.” He spent 10 minutes in an apology that included Jacobs kicking himself as “ridiculous, stupid and amateurish.”
• Truce reached in tiff between Chicago Pride parade and church. A Catholic Church on the parade route raised a stink about the annual June procession conflicting with its morning mass. With the mediation of a gay alderman at the church, parade organizers agreed to push the parade from 10 a.m. to noon after two months’ worth of angry public exchanges.
• Lesbian sailors’ kiss makes splash at Navy homecoming. A crewmember from each ship returning to port is selected to disembark and give the “first kiss.” What made Wednesday’s USS Oak Hill homecoming special was when Petty Officer 2nd Class Marissa Gaeta (bottom photo, left) got the honor with girlfriend, Petty Officer 3rd Class Citlalic Snell (right). Yup, there’s video:
Lambert-Koskinen from Sociallite Life; Rosli and Gaeta-Citlalic photos by AP